Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Mackinac Island- Bike Ride & Horseback Riding

Look at all the bikes!  They just lined the street, you could barely find a place to cut through to the street

Matt, Bridgette and Ethan went on a horse back ride.  Charlie needed a nap sooo bad, I thought he would maybe sleep in the kid carriage on the back of the bike, plus I wanted to bike too. 

Matt's parents did a tandem.  The Booth's rented bikes and headed out, so I rode with Matt's parents.  I realized I don't spend much one-on-one time with them, we had such a good time.  

Biking around the island is 8 miles.  It's pretty flat, there was one hill that was a little hard, but other than that it was an easy ride.  The breeze off the lake kept you nice and cool too.

Charlie was probably already out at this point.  He fell asleep almost immediately.  It was so nice and cool in that thing, I kind of wish I could have taken a nap in there too!


OUT

We stopped 2 or 3 times.  I wish I could have been able to take pictures while biking, the whole ride was beautiful



The bike ride took about an hour and a half.  You could probably do it in an hour, but we went at a leisurely pace and stopped a few times to draw it out and enjoy it.  Charlie slept the entire time, perfect nap

Yes, I did it, I took pictures of them, but I held my camera at my waist.  There were a lot of Amish and Mennonites vacationing on the island.  They stripped off their shoes and socks and went running (over pebbles-ouch) into the water, it was so fun to watch. 

Fun fact- did you know that all the horses on the island are bought from the Amish?

These are Bridgette's pictures from the horse back ride.

It was so nice because the riding was unguided so they were able to just go wherever they wanted pretty much






It's surprising how much of the island is wooded being so small, but I would say about half the island looks like this




The Grand

They did a two hour trip- they were all 3 a little bow-legged for a bit afterwards...

No comments: